Since I saw the movie the Book of Life and saw La Muerte’s character for the first time I just felt in love with her! My first comment to my boyfriend was: “do you think I could make that hat?” and he said: “Off course!”. So that was it! CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! Here is a recap of How I made this costume, you can get a closer look at the work and LOVE I put into making it.=)
I started to look for some elements to buy like the candles and flowers to save some time but everything was too expensive or it was not going to make it on time. I had only 1 month before the Montreal Comic Con to make it all!
I always build my costumes with my measurements to make sure it fits perfect. This pattern took me a while since I had to try and see if I was happy with the length of the dress and the shape of it.. I think I spent about 7h cutting paper, taping it, drawing on it, cutting, taping, redrawing again. My awesome mom was visiting it at the time and she was so helpful! (She always made my clothes as a child!)
Once I was happy with the dress, I cut the pieces and sew the front and the back separately. I have found a high resolution picture of her dress so I drew by hand all the different designs she has on her dress, then I passed them on Illustrator and printed them to the real size. I trace them and hand painted very design. It took me about 50h+ to finish both sides.
The Flowers: This was a very time consuming part of the costume. I made about 500 flowers all by hand. You can check the TUTORIAL if you are interested in making some flowers for your next project. The work was about 80 HOURS between cutting, burning, ruching fabric, closing them and many movies watched! (Thank you Nathy and Jenny for helping me too!)
CAMEO: For her Cameo necklace I took an oval stone I had and glue it to a cardboard, painted the back gold and put a gold trim around to sew it to the black ribbon and voila! Cameo is ready!
THE SKULLS: the skulls for the costume are made out of craft foam, carved and sanded. Then they were all hand painted. (Thank you my friend Tanya for helping me a whole afternoon to paint them!!!) The ones of the Hat are double and the ones for the dress are single (one side only)
THE WIG: To create the hairstyle of La Muerte, I bought two Wigs. I used this one as a base and used this longer wig to add a bit more volume and lenght. It was about 10 HOURS between detangling, separating wefts of hair & sewing it to the other wig . Once that was done it was time to stylize it to give it pretty curls. For this I bout a spaghetti foam at the dollar store and cut it to make rolls. I added a lot of hairspray too…
THE HAT: The Hat it’s actually not difficult to make. What was the BIGGEST CHALLENGE were the CANDLES! I had decided from the beginning that I wanted the candles to Light Up, but I had no clue how to make that possible. Thanks to my Amazing, GENIUS Boyfriend, the Hat and the dress Lights Up and the candles hover on the dress and the flames look real, just like in the movie!!!!
We spent about two weeks testing and evaluating different materials for the entire Hat. My advise is to go on Hardware Stores and Dollar Stores and decide what better fits your budget, time and how detailed you want the hat to be. He built all the electric part first and once that was installed on the hat, we covered it with the same fabric of the dress. I built an oversized crown for the hat and then I covered it with lots of flowers. The base for this hat is a Dollar Store Hat….=) there are 25 candles in the hat and 30 in the dress.
It took us 3 days to built the hat and three more days to build the candles and the connections. The ostrich feathers were SO EXPENSIVE!!!!! but worth it!!!
The other detail the Hat has is the trim all around, which you can see in this LINK. I made a simple stamp so it took me only 10 minutes to paint the whole thing on both sides!
Did I mentioned that Ron Perlman signed my hat at the ComicCon? for those who don’t know, He plays the voice of Xibalba, La Muerte’s Husband!
THE MAKE UP: It took me 3 HOURS everyday to make this look! I did a test on previously to make sure I had at least an idea of the final look. I looked online for some ideas regarding brushes and process and I decided to use:
- water-based WHITE body paint for the base applied with a sponge
- Oil based paints for all the details (Red, Yellow & Black)
- Regular eyeshadows in 5 different blue shades
- Liquid black eyeliner for the nose and the lines on the lips
- Gold pencil eyeliner for the details all over the body
- Liquid Red Lipstick
- Faux eyelashes
- Contact Lenses
Advise: use baby oil first or buy Make Up remover for COSTUME MAKE UP when you want to remove it! Regular make up remover will not do! first time I removed the make up I spent 1 hour trying to remove the black that kept spreading all over my face hahahaha!
I hope you enjoy the post! Thank you so much for checking it out!
‘Till Next time!!
Update: Don’t forget to check out my 2016 cosplay of the Red Queen from Alice Through the Looking Glass!