Hello everyone! I’m so sorry it’s been taking me so long to post this. School has literally taken over my life and I don’t have much time anymore but here I am!
So, On the post I’m going to tell you how I made the Queen’s armour. This is honestly one o the most challenging parts of this costume and it was really the reason why I chose to make it. The front of the corset was just amazingly intricate with the thorns design and it was something I was looking forward to built. Key word here: WORBLA!
I was lucky to find very good high resolution images about this corset and luckily, Disney Store released an amazing 17″ doll which I got for my collection. By the way she is magnificent, the details are amazing on that doll and thanks to her I was really able to get to a very cray detail that otherwise I would not had been able to.
So this corset can divided in the following parts:
- Front Piece
- Back Piece
- Pteruges (the decorative leather skirt)
The front and the back pieces are attached by a crossed lace and the epaulettes seemed to be attached by a snap or metal piece. There are thorns on the front piece in a heart shape and around the edges of the corset in the front and the back pieces as well as the epaulettes.
The main material I used to create the armour was WORBLA. There are many tutorials out there but I strongly recommended to Kamui Cosplay tutorials, she is the master of WORBLA armour and I just simply used most of her tutorials to understand how to manipulate this amazing material. In most of the videos I always heard that this material was very expensive, but I don’t agree, this is a wonderful material that has almost NO WASTE and I swear on this project I used every single piece available. Honestly zero waist.
For this corset I used the following materials:
- Worbla – about 2 sheets of 75cm x 100cm (29.5″ by 39″), one for the main parts and the other one for the details. It’s about 1 1/2 sheets.
- Craft foam sheets
- Acrylic paints – Red, black and Gold
- Pleather or fake leather
- 3M Spray Glue
First, I started with the chest piece: I used a basic pattern I already had from my body to build the base of the corset and get the proportions right for me.
In order to shape the Worbla, I wrapped myself on Plastic Wrap and after preparing the pieces using the Sandwich method with the Worbla and the Craft foam, I shaped it on me with the help of my Fiancé. This was the most complicated and hazardous part. It is very, very hot! And it is very hard to stay still while the Worbla cools down! You do need someone to help you out with this and thankfully I have the most amazing man in the world!
Once I was happy with the Front & Back shapes I moved to the detailing of the corset. The back of the corset consists on 3 pieces: The top of the back and two pieces for the sides (like a half peplum). On top of it there is this amazing inverted heart that I created with my boyfriend with craft foam and then covered with Worbla.
The thorns were basically straps of the left overs of the Worbla rolled with the proper thickness. I had a reference picture and I had also marked some initial lines on the corset to know where to place them. The thorns were NOT glue directly on the corset in order to be able to manipulated first.
Once I was happy with the shape of the Heart of Thorns, I added the actual thorns with tiny pieces of Worbla. While I was working on the armour, I also worked on the details of the sleeves that were basically wrapped thorns on her arms by using the same technique of the thorns on the chest piece. And here it is the final result of my work with Worbla:
I also added the relief on the side of the corset as well as the thorns on he edge of it.
And here are all the massive pieces of the corset:
I will post (SOON I PROMISE!) the second part of the making of the armour where I will explain how I painted the corset, created the pteruges (the decorative leather skirt) and attached all the pieces together.
If you have any questions, let me know!
Until Next time!!!